David Stewart Dawson started the Stewart Dawsons company as a manufacturing jewellery company in 1871 at the thriving port of Liverpool, England. The company soon realized that manufacturing jewellery was only part of the trade and that to increase the business they had to deal directly with the public, which prompted the opening of the first store in England in 1876.
Based on the success in England, the brand expanded into the Australian market in the late 1800’s, with two stores in New Zealand, one in Auckland which opened in 1885 and one in Dunedin which opened in 1886. Following on the success of these stores, Stewart Dawsons soon opened in Wellington and Christchurch in key locations; of particular note is the corner of Willis Street and Lambton Quay which most Wellingtonians know as Stewart Dawsons Corner.
The brand is now privately owned by the James Pascoes Group and there are 16 Stewart Dawsons stores throughout New Zealand. The brand is recognised for its quality and range of jewellery, and the large offering of prestige brand watches including major brands such as Michael Kors, Gucci, Armani, Citizen, Seiko, and Tissot to name a few.